In a Nutshell

If only it were still "We the People" instead of Them the Congress. We spoke and the did not listen.

Monday, November 30, 2009

To learn or not to learn...

I recently took a few quizzes that would calculate what type of a learner I am. I was not surprised to find that my strongest learning style is visual but was surprised to see that I pretty much ran neutral on all other learning categories. Initially I thought it was neat to be so balanced, but, after reading my classmates results I didn't feel so special. The majority of the results seemed to be mid line. A classmate posted an assignment discussing how important it is to challenge ourselves to learn and excel at learning styles we aren't comfortable with. I don't like going out of my comfort zone when it comes to learning, so the thought of trying to be an auditory leaner made me cranky. Then, I was laying in bed thinking about class and it dawned on me. The majority of the class seemed to be neutral learners. It seemed that there may be one really dominant style of learning but everything else streamlined. Is it because we are all adult learners so we have been through classes that are focused toward every type of learner, so subconsciously we have learned how to learn from other styles? I tend to lean toward yes. I've always known that I am a visual learner, but I didn't always know there were other clinically proven styles of learning. I think that had I known what style/s I was in high school and how to work with my strengths and weaknesses, I could have performed better. I also think that had I known these styles going into my first attempts at college, I may have completed my degree sooner.



I've been at this school thing for a long time now and think I have encountered every type of teacher there is. I remember complaining to my parents about specific teachers and how I "just can't learn in their class". As an adult, I look back now and think that there is some truth in that statement. There are so many teachers out there who think they present the information and it's the students responsibility to walk away with the knowledge. I whole heartily believe that the teacher has to take a portion of responsibility for what a student learns. Yes, there will be those students who don't try, therefore, will not learn. However, if a teacher makes no effort to get to know the students or make the material interesting, it cannot be placed fully on the student.



Knowing your learning style seems to be a huge educational advantage not only for yourself but your instructor. Every class spends the first day or two getting to know each other. It seems that it only makes sense to have each student take at least one of these quizzes at the beginning of the term. Not only would it benefit the student, but also the instructor. It would give the instructor insight into their students. Perhaps the instructor's course leans towards auditory learners but once the quizzes are completed the instructor finds he/she has a class full of mostly visual learners. The instructor could then rework lesson plans to facilitate the majority of the class. Yes, I said majority. One thing I've learned, you will never make everybody happy. This isn't just in the classroom, this is in every aspect of life. So, in the classroom if you lean toward the majority and throw in snippets of the other styles, the end result is going to be that the majority of your class walks away successful. I haven't instructed adults, so it could be way off base but it's my theory and hope to put it to the test one day.



If I end up with a job where I am teaching adults for more than a week, I am leaning toward the idea of passing out a learning style quiz at the beginning of that session. I think it's important to take a proactive step in my students learning capabilities and who be it to me to ignore the possibilities if only presented to them!

3 comments:

Jason Everett said...

Something that stuck out in your post is that most people were pretty middle of the road. Do you think this could be because people tend toward "middle" when answering any types of questions? Unless someone is very passionate about something, I think we tend to think we are not extreme either way and choose more middle type answers. Someone once told me that in a Likert scale situation to have an even number to choose from so that they have to choose one side or the other.

I also like your statement about some students don't want to learn. At some point, they need to take responsibility for their learning also. Hopefully they will be internally motivated to learn the topic. We just need to remove the roadblocks so they get the best experience.

Good ideas! Thanks for sharing. Jason

Bryan said...

oy,

I enjoyed you blog. Before taking this class, I never really thought about how I learned and what my learning preferences were. This class has opened my eyes up regarding learning preferences and how important they are. As an educator, it is important to understand how your students take in information and what the best methods are of reaching them.

I am on board with you about the learning style quiz. I think an exercise such as the learning style quiz will help make a training program more effective. I wish I would have had that information what I was actively training.

Bryan D.

Bryan said...

Sorry about the name error. I copied and pasted and apparently didn't get the "J" in your name copied!

Post a Comment

Followers

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates